Saturday 21 September 2013

67th Annual Tony Awards (Personal Touch #1)

Last weekend, when the weather outside was dreary and I had nothing to do, I decided that I would use my free time and re-watch the 67th annual Tony Awards Show.

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWGGKLi-F1k


I didn't quite have the 2 hours and 20 minutes to watch it all, but I watched the highlights. My favourite parts were the performances. Specifically Revolting Children performed by the cast of Matilda (11:52) I hadn't heard of this song until recently when my brother, Lucas came home singing it as he's performing in in his musical theatre class in university. It is terribly catchy and the kids are adorable.

Another highlight of mine was the performance made by Neil Patrick Harris, Andrew Rannells, Megan Hilty, and Laura Benanti. (101:49) They put on a little skit and a song about the benefits of being on a t.v. show versus being on Broadway. All of them have been on t.v. shows and Neil's ( How I met your Mother) is the only one that isn't cancelled. I found this quite humorous and I also liked it because I loved Megan Hilty on Smash. (I was so sad to hear it got cancelled)

For whatever reason, I found one of the acceptance speeches quite inspiring. You'd think it would be one of the actors speeches; being a performer myself, but it was actually Cyndi Lauper for best score of Kinky Boots. (53:35) I just find her kooky and genuine. Often times I find people in the musical theatre business very fake and pompous but she is so humble and has so much character. As a performer myself I find that so refreshing and I am quite happy she won even know I don't know her or much of her work.

I really enjoy looking back at the Tonys, I personally find it so inspiring and entertaining and the perfect thing to do if I have some time to myself. As a young aspiring Broadway actress, it would be a dream come true if I was ever on that stage accepting an award myself

.

No comments:

Post a Comment